In the early to mid 1800s America was still experiencing a widespread push from the Eastern Seaboard through the Plains States towards the Sunshine Coast. A notable stop along the way was a relatively small area which has today become the Town of Argyle, Texas. It was in the pasture land that cattlemen would stop at John’s Well and establish a base camp. There, they would spend extended periods of time holding tent- revival meetings, grazing cattle and resting.
Peter’s Colony pushed westward and began an actual settlement around 1850. That community was known as Pilots Knob. History tells us that as the settlement grew, so too did the infrastructure. A community school opened in 1875 followed by the now First Baptist Church of Argyle which began meeting under the same roof in 1876. The U.S. Post Office opened in 1878 followed by the Texas and Pacific Railroads. Contrary to popular belief, the Town of Argyle is not named after Irish socks but rather a garden in France. A surveyor for the railroad named the community while preparing for a new rail depot operated by James Morrill in 1880.
As the community grew, so too did commerce. Agriculture was the primary source of revenue for the Argyle. By 1890, Argyle had nearly 150 people who lived in the area. The mail was delivered along 2 routes and those who passed by found 2 mills, a cotton gin, Argyle State Bank and a hotel/restaurant. In 1895, a fire broke out that destroyed most of the businesses. The residents worked together to rebuild and by 1900, most of the commerce that was lost had been reestablished.
Through the early to mid 1900’s, Argyle saw radical shifts in its population. Prior to the Great Depression, the population had climbed as high as 238 in 1930. After another fire that destroyed the Cotton Gin, the town began a steady decline in population. By 1950, less than 100 people remained in the community. Broken, depleted and on the verge of disappearance, the towns people rallied together. On September 19, 1960 The City of Argyle was incorporated for the first time. M.H. Wilson became the first mayor of Argyle and the town has been growing ever since.
Living and working in Argyle, I meet a lot of people who share some real commonality. Argyle isn’t just a place to hang your hat, it is a place to call home. We generally love our community, enjoy running into each other at the local Booster club games or on Friday night under the lights. We embrace faith and currently have no less than 7 different churches in our sleepy little town. There is an active senior adult group, a community civic league, and food bank serving those with needs. Parents are involved in kid’s lives and the community rallies around each other when needs happen. The Argyle Independent School District and Liberty Christian Academy both offer top-notch education. We’re proud to call the Town of Argyle home.-Bryan Hutchinson
While no information was directly copied or quoted, special thanks is offered to the U.S. Census Bureau, City-Data, Texas Escapes, The Texas State Historical Association and U.S. Fact Finder for information used in this narrative.